Alphabet Poems for Shared Reading




Alphabet Poems for Shared Reading

 My kindergarten team does a lot of shared reading lessons at the beginning of the school year to teach concepts of print, phonemic awareness, word/sentence recognition and so much more. I decided to incorporate shared reading with the alphabet, and to do this I wrote these alphabet poems.
We use these alphabet poems each week as we introduce a new letter. We begin by choral reading the new poem, look at rhyming, punctuation, new words, etc. We then focus on concepts of print. After we have learned the new poem, my kiddos highlight the letter that we are learning throughout the poem. We then place these in our alphabet journal.











I recently added some additional alphabet poem activities to go with each poem. We will use these throughout the week as we are using out alphabet poem of the week. 








I also created a pocket chart version of each of the poems. We will assemble the pocket chart poem whole group, and then this will become a part of my pocket chart center. The kids love to see these poems in the center, because they are familiar with the poems and have confidence as they are reading them.













QuickEdit
Crystal McGinnis
1 Comments

1 comment:

  1. looking for you building a snowman sequencing.
    Thanks,
    Linda Gagnon

    ReplyDelete